Saturday, January 17, 2015

Yachaejeon

  Korean pancakes are a great little meal to have in your aresenal for the days when you can't figure out what to make for dinner!  I have used them a couple times on nights when I didn't plan well in advance - Rice, Kimchi, and a Jeon!  I already knew that we loved the Kimchijeon so this time I tried my hand at a vegetable pancake with the addition of seafood.  I actually had over heard some guys talking about putting seafood in their pancakes when I went to the Korean store back in December so I grabbed a bag of mixed frozen seafood at the time.  I didn't know what exactly I was doing with it but I knew I would figure something out!

 A few notes:
     A) Interestingly to me while the Kimchijeon called for grape seed oil (which I accordingly purchased) for some reason the Yachaejeon called for vegetable oil.  I haven't cooked enough with grape seed oil to be able to tell you if it had a distinctive flavor, but I wonder what the difference is and why both jeon's are not cooked with the same oil.  Anyway, the first time I make anything I usually try to stick exactly to the recipe so I have a baseline to work off of when I make it again.  Typically I start changing it up to suit the Warrior's and my preferences.
     B) The recipe called for zucchini which I was lucky enough to have on hand from making a different Korean dish (which I can't remember at all right now).  That is one thing I have really enjoyed about this whole endeavor.  How many vegetables we have been eating, and that none of them have gone bad in the fridge!
     C) These Korean pancakes are always flipped in the skillet with a good twist of the wrist, I am happy to report that so far I have accomplished this feat without it falling on the floor!  When that day happens, rest assured, I will take a picture of it for you!
     D) I was starving and grumpy when I made these...sooooo...sorry about there only being one picture. hehe....here is a funny picture of Eli just for kicks!

Final word:  These were another tasty addition!  The seafood actually reminded me of the festive dinners my family would have for Christmas Eve every year in keeping with the Italian tradition of the "Feast of the Seven Fishes".  Although I don't always have seafood in the freezer or fresh I am really happy to just have another idea of what I can do with seafood, that I can put it in a savory pancake, with minimal work, and have a delicious little dinner!  Check out the link for full directions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment