Friday, January 16, 2015

Jumukbap and Kimchijeon

     Jumukbap are little rice balls with marinated ground beef worked into them.  "Jumuk" means "fist" and "bap" is "rice.  These were traditionally made as an easy lunch to carry into the fields, they are a good "travel" food as you get some protein, grain, and vegetable (seaweed?) all in one compact little fist!  The interesting ingredients in Jumukbap is the seaweed and asian pear.  The asian pear gives a refreshing and very light sweetness to this dish.  My Warrior Ninja ended up just packing up a bunch of these for his lunch the next day.  They were not difficult to make and made for tasty little morsels.  As you can see my little man found them quite intriguing!

   Along with the Jumukbap I made Kimchijeon.  When "jeon" is attached to a korean food it means that you will get something like a pancake.  I already had my traditional Kimchi made up so it was just a simple process of adding a few extra ingredients, mixing up the batter, then frying this baby up!  I have to admit to feeling pretty awesome about myself when I flipped the whole thing over to the other side in the pan just like the instructions called for without any utensils!  Woohoo!  Kimchijeon was AMAZING!  It brought out the intricacies of the various flavors of the Kimchi, downplayed the spiciness, and put it all in a yummy, hold in your hand, goodness!  Both Sang Tae and I were quite impressed with these!  Needless to say we are already getting close to the end of the second batch of Kimchi I made!  Even Eli enjoyed the Kimchijeon!  He did say "spicy? spicy?" quite a few times, but couldn't resist continuing to nibble on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment