Saturday, January 31, 2015

Mandu-pi (dumpling wrappers)



    Mandu-pi (prononced "pee") is the "wrap" used to enclose a meat mixture when making Koren dumpling.  It is actually considered a "noodle".  I was very hesitent to make the mandu myself, you can buy prepackaged mandu at Asian grocery stores.  However, since I was very keen to make the dumplings and I am not going to be going to the Asian store for awhile I decided to plow ahead!  I have never had much luck in making things from dough.  I get impatient, frustrated, and generally whatever I am trying to make with dough falls apart or doesn't bake properly.  I feel that bread baking and dough making is an art, one that I have not accomplished and don't feel inspired to practice enough to master.  The recipe seemed simple enough however, Maangchi's video seemed straight forward, and I really really wanted to eat dumplings!  2 cups flour, 2/3 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt...I can do this. Right?  I followed the recipe...it seemed to be going well.  Everything looked like Maangchi's pictures...I kneaded, kneaded, kneaded...I rolled out the little pieces of dough...ugh.  Yes, an art.  An art that takes practice and or natural gift, and I don't have the gift!  Behold my mandu vs. Maangchi's...her's is the picture on top.  I just cannot get it round!!  See my completed mandu-pi below.  I will let you know how making the dumplings go!  If you want to try see her recipe here.










No comments:

Post a Comment