Sunday, May 25, 2014

How I am Cloth Diapering

About six weeks ago I gave birth to our first child, Michael Jr. Though I am from a big family and have helped care for infants there is still a huge adjustment period in having your very own infant for the very first time. I thought I would to add to this and learn to diaper a new way (for me).  What better way to learn than just to start doing?

Always looking for ways to be a little more self sufficient, I had decided I would cloth diaper.  I did not have any knowledge really, other than: we are going to hopefully be blessed with a large family so reusable diapers would be a huge money saver. Plus that weird chemical crystal stuff that absorbs liquid in diapers freaks me out! How safe can it really be? Could it cause worse rashes or TSS?! What if a baby tore open a diaper and ate it?!?! Any way I am  blessed enough to have had a good friend give me about 30 cotton prefolds that were used for her twin grandsons. With that extra encouragement I was even more determined to do this! So those 30 prefolds, 6 diaper pins and 3 liquid proof covers was the extent of my "stash".  I am learning as I go and I just ordered 3 more covers that I found at www.shopdiaper.com on a ridiculous sale! (Thank you mom!).

As I have tried learning on my own I have found that blogs and websites have been more confusing for me than helpful. My sister  wants to start with her next baby and asked me about how I cloth diaper AND keep it from leaking AND what inserts are AND covers and basically "why the heck does it seem so complicated!!??"  So I created and sent this picture tutorial to her to hopefully be more helpful and clear about how simple it can be.  At least that was my intention. I hope it doesn't add to the complication that seems to surround this retro with adorable diaper covers way of keeping your baby clean.

This is just on how to actually put your baby into the diaper because doing laundry was not as hard as figuring out how to keep it from leaking..... It took me a few weeks and my mom visiting to learn how. But baby poop does have a mind of its own and will get out no matter what diapering system you use.  Maybe  at a future date I will post about my laundering practices.

 Until then...

Happy Diapering







 






 










Ps. This is the app I used for my photo editing and is my favorite so far! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rhonna-designs/id667819594?mt=8

2 comments:

  1. He looks like a very contented boy, nice and dry! Nicely done, Margaret!

    ReplyDelete